Thursday, June 20, 2019

Yup. . . I Have A New Plan For The Utility Trailer!

After a lot of thought and consideration, I have a new plan as it pertains to the 4' x 8' utility trailer. Although I am building the mini to fit exactly onto the utility trailer that I have, I've decided to bump it up a notch and purchase a new 5' x 8' utility trailer. Two reasons. First, I believe the weight of the our mini build is going to be really close to the gross vehicle weight (GVW) of the trailer that my son and I pulled up out of the woods, even after the modifications that I have made with 12" rims and heavier leaf springs. I do not know this to be for sure, but I do not want to take the chance. Second, the 5' x 8' utility trailer has even larger rims (13") and tires as well as the axel is set back further than my 4' x 8'. I believe that the set back of the axel is going to also lighten the load of the tongue weight. To be perfectly honest, I am also a little excited about the six inches of clearance on the trailer bed at each side, between the "basement" wall and the fenders. I'm thinking maybe a couple of 6" x 8' watertight tubes for fish'n rods, decorative rolled ground matt, tarp poles or something like that.


This is the original 4' x 8' utility trailer we pulled out of the woods. The GVW of this trailer is 1000 pounds.


This is the trailer I have chosen. My local Tractor Supply currently has it on sale for $849.00. I am going to watch the price though as it goes on and off sale for as low as $750.00. This same model with the mesh floor opposed to the wood plank floor sells for as low as $650.00. Both have a GVW of 2000 pounds. The mini will not weigh that much, I am sure. I am going to remove the mesh fold down ramp and hinges barrels. I will then cut the removed ramp into the desired size, weld on some angle iron, and reinforcing steel to make a tongue shelf on the tow end. This could house an ice chest or generator, battery box, propane tank and possibly a spare trailer rim & tire. 

#minicamptrailer #diycamptrailer #1stCutMini-Camp-Trailers #offroadtrailer

No comments:

Post a Comment