Thursday, May 30, 2019

"The Broccoli Theory"



I think this holds true for just about everyone. There comes a time when its okay to just say, "Ya know, "I don't like broccoli, in fact I have NEVER liked broccoli, therefore I'm not eating broccoli. No, NOT EVEN with cheese!" This was said to me by my good friend Mark. With exception to my wife, Claudia, I consider Mark one of my closest friends. Mark's simple "broccoli" statement has made me think about a lot of things in life that I refer to today, and what is now known to my family and myself as, "The Broccoli Theory" or TBT for short. (That was for you Marsh).

What does this have to do with our mini-camp trailer build, you may ask yourself? Well it certainly is not broccoli, it is more the theory surrounding broccoli. Claudia and her family camped. I camped with my dad, and Claudia and I like to camp. When our children were very young we bought a nice Eureka Tent (you know... the bright green one with the rain fly. We loved that tent when we were tent campers) and we camped. When they got a little older we bought a small pop-up trailer and we set up the tent and camped. When we moved half way across the U.S.A. we hauled the dog, the kids the pop-up and we camped. But, as life happens, camping seemed to fade, the pop-up got sold at a garage sale, the tent got used less and less and then it was stored under the stairs with other important stuff that we moved half way across the country almost thirty years ago with the hopes that that just maybe it will be useful again someday.

If you are a tent camper and you can get your hands on one of these, do it. you will stay dry!


Now our kids have children of their own and we are starting the whole camping thing all over again. This is actually where the TBT comes into play. The idea of camping and seeing what this Great Nation has to offer us in the great outdoors and being able to do that with our grown children and our grandchildren seems very appealing to us. But just not in a tent! And certainly not in a large Lucille Ball type "Long Long Trailer" or fifth-wheel or motorhome that ends up parked in a Store-Your-Stuff-Here, 6.5 miles from the house for three hundred fifty-five days of the year. Let me clarify as my sarcasm gets me in trouble sometimes. . . Not everyone that owns a long long trailer or fifth-wheel, buys it and parks it in a "Store-Your-Stuff-Here" for that many days out of the year!

So, bottom line. We don't like tent camping, therefore we are not going to tent camp. No, not even with a $200.00 kingsize self inflating air mattress that runs on four D-Cell batteries! This does not mean that we do not like to camp anymore than Mark not eating broccoli means he doesn't like food. We still want to camp, just on our own terms.

#minicamptrailer #diycamptrailer # #offroadtrailer   

No comments:

Post a Comment